With Thanksgiving quickly approaching, it’s time to give our annual warning about cooking safety. Thanksgiving is a peak day for home cooking fires, there are about 2000 each year. Deep frying turkeys pose an especially dangerous risk. Deep frying turkeys lead to an average of 5 deaths, 60 injuries, and more than 15 million in property damage per year. In recent years, a Massachusetts fire caused by deep frying a turkey burned down 3 homes on Thanksgiving Day.
Some tips to remember when deep frying a turkey:
- Never fry a frozen turkey
- Have a fire extinguisher near by
- Follow instructions on the deep fryer unit, as well as regulations in your local town about where and when you can deep fry a turkey.
- Stay in the area where you are cooking to avoid fires
- Keep small children and animals away from fryer
- Have safety equipment ready
- Keep it outdoors
Stay safe and have a happy Thanksgiving!