For a safe holiday season, follow these Decorating Safety Tips, brought to you by the National Safety Council.
- Never use lighted candles near trees or boughs
- Keep poisonous plants out of reach of children & pets
- Keep trees away from fireplaces, radiators, and other heat sources
- Make sure your tree has a stable platform
- Choose an artificial tree that is labeled fire resistant
- If using a natural tree, make sure it is well watered
- Check holiday lights for fraying, bare spots, gaps in the insulation or excessive kinking in the wire
- Turn off all tree lights and decorations when not in use
- When putting up decorations, use a step stool or ladder to reach high places
- Designate a sober driver
- When preparing a meal, wash hands, utensils, sink and anything else that touches raw meat
- Reheat leftovers to at least 165 degrees Fahrenheit
Happy Holidays from all of us at Deland, Gibson!